Because of my crazy busy schedule I haven’t been able to give you guys my usual rundown of the shows from fashion week. So below I’ve covered a few of the past shows…
Band of Outsiders always has such fun with their styles. Their Fall 2010 collection literally reminds me of my high school friend Brian. He was this really rich kid who exclusively shopped at thrift stores. With his finds he’d create the most random ensembles, but somehow they worked for him. You don’t know my friend Bri, so my style comparisons may not be resonating at the moment. Let’s just say that their collection is like the ivy style of an occasionally wild and laid-back frat boy.
*Check back soon for one of the anticipated Urban Gentleman Style and Trend Guides.
photos from NYMAG.
The task of creating this Spring/Summer 2010 was a bit more arduous than I had foreseen. When I initially began to outline this article in my moleksine I kept coming up short… nothing dramatically stood out, nothing new atleast, but then when I thought harder, just a little harder it became so clear. Check out..
Get the Look:90s looking graphic tees, rolled up shorts and jeans, well-fitting cargo shorts, hi-top boat shoes (or mid-top), duck boots, chukka boots/sneakers, boy scout or military shirts, 90s looking hats.
Get the Look:Harem pants, slippers, blazers, t-shirts, low-top sneakers. With Harem pants its all about proportions and editing. The easiest way to seamlessly integrate harem pants into your wardrobe is to first create an ensemble using trousers the same color as the harem pants… this can be any ensemble: casual, dressy, preppy, rock, etc. Now take away the trousers and replace them with the harem pants. From here the harems will either flow nicely or the other items you have on will look a little off. If it is the latter, then look in the mirror and try on different jackets/sweaters, shirts, and shoes until you get a look that you like.
Get the Look:T-shirts of all shapes, sizes, and colors. Distressed, ripped, torn, and/or slashed jeans. And anything/everything rock and roll!
Get the Look: Wear white on white on white. Atleast 3 white items on at all times.
It's like we're refined 80s babies this year. We match it all, but in the most tasteful ways– sorta elegant, but mostly preppy.
The Urban Gentleman
Colors: Orange, shades of blue, white, plaids
Accessories: colored sunglasses, buttons, colorful boat shoes, boots, bookbags, sew-on patches.
2. Booted Up– this spring and summer is all about finding ways to integrate boots into your spring wardrobe. Hi-top boat shoes are easy for most guys, but integrating chukkas and desert boots may be a bit more challenging for some, buuuut if you can do it, if you can pull it off, well, you win 😉
3. Shorts (usually cargo) over thermals, skinny jeans, even leggings
4. Subtle military shirts– we're not going into full combat anymore, keep your military flares a bit more discreet unless the occasion calls for full decoration.
5. Printed slippers (ie. monogrammed velvet slippers)
6. Denim shirts
8. Summer rolls— rolling up pants and shorts and sleeves and and and, lol… nah, just kiddin'.
– jean jacket
– high-top/mid-top boat shoes and/or desert boots
– bright colored hat
– pair of colorful sunglasses
– jean shirt
– clear pair of glasses
– slim-fit jeans
– white shorts, jeans, or trousers
– a favorite plaid shirt
– harem pants/shorts (if you're bold enough)
(Designers above: G-Star Raw, D-Sqaured, Gucci, Martin Margiela, John Richmond, Lacoste, Givenchy, Jean-Paul Gaultier, Costume National, Salvatore Ferragamo).
The Urban Gentleman
Stayed tuned for How to Get the Look for each trend &
the Urban Gentleman Spring Summer Trends photo shoot.
It’s always nice to listen to “feel good” music.
Roses, Dinner, Dancing. (Jewelry if it’s in your budget)
UPDATE: Valentine’s Day Poll
Question: What Do You Want For Valentine’s Day?
Nothing, Valentine’s Day is for women
Any thoughtful gift
A nice back massage, and some “nookie” will do
Clothing, Apparel, Jewelry, or Electronics, Etc.