From John Legend to Scott Whitman to Jay-Z. It seems like velvet or velour bow-ties are the way to go. There’s only so much you can do with a tux, so it’s nice when gentleman find ways to make their tuxedo special. If you have any black tie events coming up, you should try wearing a velvet bow-tie.
new multimillion-dollar TV and film studio.
(Atlanta, October 2008)
Scott is in the velour bow-tie.
(New York City Ballet Opening Night- November 08)
No more leaving one or two buttons undone. It is officially cool to wear your button-ups buttoned up.
(not just when you’re wearing a tie)
As of Wednesday November 26, 2008:
1. Boots are to be worn over your pants. I know it used to be a common sight only among the woman-folk, but now men do it with so much swagger and like I love to say “it goes so hard”.
2. Gold shoes are what’s haute. And not just gold-ish shoes, but outright GOLD shoes are slowly making there way from the underground fashion circuits to runways- oh, and they should preferably be lace-ups. Every once in awhile when I head to Parson’s or as I’m walking through the East Village I’ll see a twinkle on the ground and I’ll spot a pair of gold shoes. Or when I’m headed back to the work in the fashion district I’ll see a very beat guy or gal rockin’ a pair.
3. Yes wayfarer shades are still in and they’ll be around for awhile. You’ll see them in a variety of colors, sheens, and designs…. but no matter how much designers dress them up they will still essentially be wayfarers.
4. If you thought thick framed glasses was as nerdy as it was going to get- you were wrong. Thanks to designers like Thom Brown- high watered pants are so acceptable. You can love it or hate it, but if you live in a hauteTrot place like New York, Paris, or London then you will be seeing this in full effect.
5. The arab scarf has been unofficially replaced by plaid scarves.
(well not so much replaced, but plaid scarves are the shyt these days)
Burberry Slim Fit Woven Check Shirt, $195, nordstrom.com
AE Buffalo Check Shirt, $29.95, ae.com
Okay, let's pretend it's 7 days later and you've gone to the store and bought a plaid shirt or two, now you're like "okay, what do I do next, how do I wear this"…
Option #1: "The East Village Way": white v-neck tee underneath, skinny jeans or jeans that fit, worn down chucks, skippers, or neutral colored boat shoes, and the shirt should be worn open or buttoned over the tee, oh and don't forget to roll up the sleeves. Optional accessories include a hat (the kind your grandpa wears, lol) and wayfarer shades.
Option #2: "The Benjamin Bixby Way": v-neck sweater, khaki or neutral colored cords (aka corduroy pants), loafers or new pair of neutral colored Converse (the beige ones), and the shirt should be worn underneath the sweater tucked in or out depending on your mood. Optional accessories include a hat, striped scarf, and braided leather bracelet.
Option #3: "The Too Cool For School Way": bright colored jeans (any color jeans that fit really), fitted hat, badAzz sneakers- like pair of Creative Recreation. Optional accessories include glasses- yes, the nerdy kind.
I know y’all are probably thinking…
Cindy this is some dorky ish.
But I love this because it’s so Benjamin Bixby.
Trends this look embodies:
the simple man/classic look
its so effortlessly stylish.
Trends this look embodies:
vans shoes or skippers
wearing some nice tailored trousers, but nope.
This gentleman is confidently rocking denim
jeans complete with slashes.
Trends this look embodies:
rugby socks, $8, urbanoutfitters.com
saddle oxfords, $129, orvis.com
To Get The Look: braces (suspenders), boots, jeans, flat front khakis, flannel jackets, khaki blazers, vests, corduroy pants, and clothing that reminds you of “the working man” throughout the early 1900′s.
Designers for the Look: D&G, Adam Kimmel, Z Zegna, Club Monaco/J.Crew
Urban Gent Comments: Very doable, very cool. This style is better for someone who exudes confidence… because not everybody can pull off seemingly wearing the same thing a few days in row.
To Get The Look: very slightly fitted graphic tees, denim jeans, sneakers/trainers, trendy book bag, wayfarer shades, bright colored “saggy skinny” jeans, converse, aviators, vans, fitted hats
Urban Gent Comments: I suggest only buying a few items that fit this trend because it’s not for everyone. Maybe a jacket and a scarf…
To Get The Look: jackets w/ fur collars, heavy sweaters, bright colored scarves, vest, fall colored suede pants, and any type clothing that makes you think “Russian Empire”
Designers for the Look: Ermenegildo Zegna,Gucci, D-squared
To Get The Look: dark denim, bright colored shirts, colored fitted jeans, v-neck shirts, gold jewelry, pumas, jordans, thrift store finds, blazers, sandel-oxfords, vest, fanny pack/book bag
Designers for the look: American Apparel, Gap, LRG, Creative Reaction
This look builds upon the preppy look that has swept our nation by storm. But instead of being so stereotypically preppy this new trend focuses on the idea that “less is more”. The 1950′s is the era the emulates this look with perfection.
Urban Gent Comments: This is one of my favorite fall fashion trends. If you follow it you will certainly be the cleanest lad on the block. The trend is also great because the clothing is classic and will never go out of style.
To Get The Look: trousers, blue & white collar shirts (w/ collar stays), heather-grey coloured clothing, lace-up dress shoes, pea coats, trench-coats, eye-glasses, tie-clips, neutral colored ties (regular, skinny, and bow-ties), and anything that looks like it would be worn on the set of Happy Days or The Great Debaters.
Designers for the look: Ralph Lauren, Junya Watanabe, Tom Ford, Michael Kors, DKNY
Designers for the look: Gucci, D&G, Dr.Romanelli
Best Designer for this seasons Trends: Dsquared
Designers Dean and Dan do the best job of combining all of
the seasons trends from the “Russian Look” to
“The Jacket Fanatic” to “The Blue Collar Worker”.
He’s young, fresh, and cool. Hip-hop singer Chris Brown does the best job of displaying this season’s trends when on and off the red-carpet.
1. Arab Scarf- yes, it’s still in.
2. Glasses- you MUST have the ability to look intellectual at a moment’s notice.
3. Boldly Colored Fitted Jeans- Lil’Weezy, Chris Brown, Kanye West- they ALL rock em
4. Unique Jacket- it makes getting ready so easy- jeans, t-shirt, and a superTight jacket.
5. Gold Jewelry- if you still haven’t gotten a gold watch or gold chain you need to cop one.
(side note: Gaudy gold is slightly played, so your gold jewelry shouldn’t look costume)
*Exclusive Urban Gentleman Trends
The Urban Gentleman