Teen Vogue editor Andrew Bevan
For now I advise all guys to purchase a really nice pair of oxfords and boots. Get one pair of each that you feel you can wear with almost anything. I’ll do a post on my favorite oxfords and boots sometime this month.
photos from: thesartorialist.blogspot.com, facehunter.blogpsot.com, altamiranyc, streetpeeper, jack&jil.
You guys know I like to do a complete Sartorialist post every now and again… so I visited his site and chose a few of his recent men’s street style.
And a style note for you guys, minus two pictures, notice how all the men have creases in their pants, even their jeans. Creases are a subtle but definite way to show that you care about the way you look. Do I think all pants need them? perhaps not. But the men that I admire, that indirectly and directly taught me about Men’s Style… almost always have them- even in their lounging attire…
jean shorts ,right at the knee
tank top, right below the pockets
and a fedora and wayfarers to boot
rio de janeiro, san juan, ocho rios.
gosh, he looks so relaxed and happy
Hi. I’m a 30 year old urban gent from Birmingham, Al. My girlfriend lives in Tallahassee so I usually there on holidays and weekends. Recently I’ve changed to an older more sophisticated look. Similar to Kendrack Lewis your most recent featured urban gent. My problem is I don’t know what to wear when it’s really hot. When the temp is in the 90’s, it’s really humid, and sweating is unavoidable. Could you help me out?
Hey (name of Alabama gentleman)
When it’s hot keep it simple… its all about wearing quality or proper fitting clothing. Examples of looks to wear on a hot summer day:
1. white polo, seer sucker shorts, navy boat shoes
2. white/colored short sleeves v-neck, very light-weight cardigan with the sleeves rolled up, khaki shorts, canvas shoes
3. long sleeve plaid shirt w/ the sleeves rolled up, jeans, and your choice of shoes
accessorize with a nice pair of trendy shades like black wayfarers and you’re good to go.
The thing is Steven, I know its Really hot, but you’re a gentleman so its never really appropriate to wear combinations like tanks, shorts, and flip-flops unless you’re going to the beach… again, I know its hot, but guys just don’t have as easy as women when it comes to looking very stylish and keeping very cool in the sun… we can always just put on a sleeveless light weight dress and sandals, which would be the coolest thing we could put on aside from a bikini.
– shorts are right at or just above the knees
– sockless w/ loafers, boat shoes, or sandals
(some people say gentleman do not wear sandals,
but I’ll leave that up to you)
– long sleeve shirts and sweaters are rolled up
– top buttons un-done (usually 2)
Also for the summer months:
– carry a linen handkerchief/pocketsquare to dab at sweat
– use sunblock
– always carry sunglasses and/or a hat
– drink LOTS of water
– boxers may keep you cooler than briefs
– use a good deodorant
– consider taking a quickie mid day shower in addition to your morning or night shower, this usually keeps you a little more cool